The main task of EXPERT is to provide data support for management of a given traffic process at a certain risk level with a specified maintenance system.
EXPERT is an expandable, easily scalable system open both at the lower (used diagnostic tools) and the upper (analysis and planning tools) levels.
The database of EXPERT is designed to contain information on the entire life cycle of infrastructure, such as:
- rated, design, and actual data for a commissioned project,
- diagnostic data (since track laying or reconstruction),
- traffic load and tonnage throughput,
- information on performed repairs and routine maintenance expenses.
The information of the system provides an opportunity to shift away from simple recording of faults and to define actual state of infrastructure and dynamics of its changes, forecast pre-fault states and assume measures to prevent faults instead. The system is web-based, therefore providing access for stored information practically from anywhere in the world.
It provides data for design organisations developing reconstruction projects.
The EXPERT system includes three main process loops for effective solving of its main tasks:
- repairs scheduling management loop,
- traffic safety loop including interactions with routine infrastructure maintenance units,
- diagnostics tools management loop providing a necessary and sufficient scope of infrastructure diagnostics.
The main functions of EXPERT are:
- management of design and rated data,
- collection, synchronisation, integration, and storage of generations of data received from diagnostic tools, control of their accuracy and reliability,
- completeness analysis of diagnostic studies and scheduling of diagnostic tools operations providing a necessary and sufficient scope of studies,
- on-line control of infrastructure condition, communication with routine maintenance units on issues of revealed dangerous situations and control of troubleshooting,
- data support of integrated management of reliability, risks, railway transport life cycle costs, situation centres and infrastructure management centres.
The basic information task of the system is synchronisation and integration of diagnostic data. All data received by the system are synchronised with stored data with precise matching of coordinates. The data are integrated by means of data generations (a cross-section for a given point of time) created with specified frequency. Every generation includes the most reliable data precisely reflecting the condition of a facility for the time of creation of this generation.
The integrated data serve as an information basis for external applications and data support of integrated management of reliability, risks, railway transport life cycle cost (URRAN-RAMS). It allows optimisation of infrastructure maintenance costs basing of its actual condition and changes. External applications can be used, in particular, to implement alternative evaluation methods, calculate generalised factors of infrastructure condition, forecast condition of infrastructure facilities, prepare technical and economic analysis, schedule repairs etc,
There has already been developed and implemented a number of external applications for the EXPERT system, such as for detection of pre-fault infrastructure conditions based on track geometry and rail fastening (as part of URRAN-RAMS technology of integrated management of reliability, risks, railway transport life cycle costs), for evaluation of condition of integrated continuous welded rails, and the StabWay programme for monitoring of unsteady roadbed sections.